Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The KnoWLedGe of Tea



"Tea does our fancy aid, Repress those vapours which the head invade And keeps that palace of the soul serene"
-Edmund Waller, "Of Tea"

"Tea...is a religion of the art of life" ~Okakura

I always thought that drinking tea doesn't require any knowledge or skills. All you need is just hot water, tea leaf, and a pot. Even a 4 years old child can do that. Today, is the day where i've been enlightens by the tea experts. All my thinking about tea were nothing but useless when you know the true purpose of tea, the knowledge and skill you need to brew a good quality tea.

Today, i went with my friend ChiWai to a shop name "HOJO" at The Gardens. The Managing Director itself, Mr. Akira Hojo has enlightens us about the world of tea. This is not the opportunity where anyone can get and thank god, i was there to learn.

Tea, is not something as easy as ABC, even the kinds of tea have a very long list. Every single detail in brewing a tea is important. The quality of water, the water resource, the kind of tea pot, the tea leafs, the way you pour out the tea. Every single detail can influence the taste of a tea. You guys out there may be thinking, "Come on, is impossible, is just tea.". That was what i think before i step in to this shop. Trust me, after u come and try it. I'am sure you will agree with me. i'm not an expert in tea. I know nothing about tea. But when i drink, i can feel the difference. I find it fasinating and i the fire in me on knowing about tea is burning. Mr.Hojo agree to teach us for free and can go over to his place anytime we want. I was glad to hear that and was looking forward to the next lesson.

After the session, my views on tea really changes. There are some saying that say "it takes a long time to learn about tea" and i totally agree with that. Even the experts need a lot of time to learn. I'am lucky to have found Mr.Hojo and maybe this is a start to my newly discovered passion.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

aih, ppl now go kai-kai xajak d lo...oni know how to ask for free food..aih...tak guna...

Anonymous said...

hahaha
tm..
i wanto yum cha also =p

the amazing kuli said...

eh eh.. wong tai ming,
come to midvalley never find for me ah!

Anonymous said...

SO THESE ARE GROUP OF THE FUCKTARDS THAT ALWAYS TALK BAD OF OTHER PEOPLE BEHIND THEIR BACK.....